Friday, March 14, 2008

"PK THUNDER!"

Nintendo is reportedly considering a North American release of all 3 Mother games on a single cartridge for the Nintendo DS. While it is good news to know that Nintendo is considering such a thing, until I see or hear an official statement, I take this news with a grain of salt. President and COO of Nintendo of America, Reggie Fils-Aime has already stated that there are currently no plans for the rest of the Mother series to be released in the States "yet". The Mother series made RPGs feel quite fresh for a time when fighting mythical monsters was more commonplace. But, instead of fighting goblins, demons, giant worms or dragons; I was fighting space aliens, possessed toilets, and even the KKK. My arsenal consisted of nearly anything that could be used as a practical weapon, from baseball bats to frying pans. And to top it all off, my player character and silent protagonist, Ness, had latent psychic powers. Now, tell me that isn't awesome! I just recently came in possession of the 3rd game in the series, released for the GameBoy Advance a little over 2 years ago. While I can't read Japanese, there are fan-translations of the script available to aid in the enjoyment of the story. Without even knowing exactly whats going on, I've already found myself awash in a feeling of wacky, formerly inanimate object-slaying nostalgia. Unfortunately, the games' creator and famous Japanese copy writer Shigesato Itoi says that there are currently no plans for a Mother 4. I can understand his resistance to jump back on the bandwagon so quickly as Mother 3 had been in development for the Japan-only Nintendo 64DD since 1996. The project was then canceled in 2000 and moved to the GBA in 2003 with a final release date of April 20th, 2006. It is to my knowledge that 10 years in game development can pretty much suck most of your life energy away, transforming you into a workaholic vampire. With nearly 600,000 copies sold within 3 months of its Japanese release, Itoi had earned a well-deserved break to finally see the outside world again. Below is a preview video for Mother 3 released back in 1999 shortly before its cancellation at the now defunked Nintendo Spaceworld. Its hard to believe that this is what we thought looked amazing back at the time. If only I had a De Lorean time machine. I would prefer the time displacement equipment from Terminator, but since nothing dead will go through, my Wii would be vaporized, thus leaving me with only one other kind of "wii" to show the world.

1 comment:

Xenoslayer33 said...

It's about time! Seriously, one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes is overlooking the popularity of the Mother series in the US. Simply put: We've been shafted. It's good to hear that we may get all 3 games on one cartridge. Honestly, with all of the miracle games on the DS (FFIII&IV remakes, upcoming Kirby Super Star Remake, etc) I actually think that this has a good chance of existing. I've only spent time with Earthbound back in the day, but I look forward to trying out the rest of the series. By the way, the DS is one heck of an awesome little system. I consider it to be the true sequel to the Super NES. We get straight ports of all the amazing classics (Mario World, Mario 3, Mario 64, Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, VI, etc) plus true sequels to these classics that retain their glory and improve upon the original formula (New Super Mario, Yoshi's Island 2, Zelda: PH, Contra 4, Metroid, Castlevania, Mariokart, etc). Not to mention, the thing is portable and has great wireless pick-up-and-play options with nearby DS's. I LOVE the DS.

That ends my tangent. Yep, bringing the Mother series to us would be a smart move on Nintendo's part. Packing them all into one DS cart would be even smarter.