Monday, March 3, 2008

"Get away from her, you bitch!"


Not too long ago, Texas-based game developer Gearbox Software acquired the rights to the classic "Alien" franchise. Of course they had the opportunity to go with some pretty twisted survival horror, following along the lines of Ridley Scott's original "Alien" film, which would have been a cool concept. But instead they chose to go with what is undoubtedly the most popular installment of the franchise: James Cameron's super bad-ass sequel, "Aliens". Say what you will about James Cameron, but this man knows how a sequel should be made. I think both Aliens and T2 can vouch for that. I remain confident in Gearbox Software's ability to do Cameron's vision justice, especially after pioneering the popular "Brothers in Arms" series and having a good relationship with the Half-Life series' Valve Corporation. The reason I don't say they'll do the "franchise" justice is because I saw Alien: Resurrection and we all know how well that turned out. Talk about a nail in the coffin... Thankfully, Gearbox has showed up ready with crowbar in hand, courtesy of their good friend, Dr. Gordon Freeman. While much hasn't been revealed on the game as of yet, we do know that it is set to appear on both the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 later this year. In the meantime, enjoy the screenshot slideshow below courtesy of GameTrailers.com member 2reee.

1 comment:

Xenoslayer33 said...

I just had one intense "nergasm"... My love for this series stems way back since the time that I could hardly walk. I remember how I would very quietly sneak down the stairs at night and hide behind the couch while my parents were watching this movie, all just so I could catch a glimpse of the dreaded "xenomorph". During that same time, I was given a Commodore 64 game based on the movie, and played it religiously. An obsession was born, and I have followed and jumped on every ALIEN related movie, game, arcade, action figure, ceramic bust, comic, novel, bobble-head, or any sort of merchandise from this franchise whatsoever. Needless to say, this game can't come soon enough! It's been a LONG time since we have had a decent game (Alien vs Predator 2 was the last) so this is like a godsend to all fans. What's even better is that a well-known and decent company is behind the wheel, so we can expect quality. It's good to see that the Aliens will be starring in their own game without the Predators (nothing against Preds). Good stuff, I can't wait!

Oh, and following this FPS, there is another ALIEN title to be released on Xbox 360, and it is going to be an RPG. I haven't heard who is behind the project or any other details thus far...