Friday, March 14, 2008

Has "Persia" found its prince?

I was initially quite worried about the idea of Ubisoft and Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia being adapted into a live-action feature. There were even early rumors of Michael Bay being in talks to direct, which just about put the nail in my coffin. Well, finally it was revealed that model, actor and producer David K. Zandi is the front runner for taking on the role of the Prince of Persia in the upcoming film. Not only does the guy have a resume longer than my arm, but he's also proficient in sword fighting and is a professional horseback rider. And get this, the guy is actual royalty in Persia. He is a descendant of the Zand dynasty, founded by the chief of the Zand tribe of Lors, Karim Khan. Jerry Bruckheimer and crew couldn't make a better choice. Bruckheimer's production company Jerry Bruckheimer Films conducted a survey of which one of the questions was "Who would you like to see play the Prince?" The list of 8 names consisted of up and coming Hollywood superstars and heartthrobs such as Orlando Bloom, James McAvoy and Cillian Murphy, each of whom received a less than 10% vote with Zandi beating them all with a whopping 70% in his favor. With Mike Newell of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire fame directing and the great Jerry Bruckheimer producing with The Walt Disney Company distributing, this flick could very well be worth the wait until next year. Then again, this is a video game-based movie. Anyways, if you thrive on the feeling of video game nostalgia, then enjoy the following video of a gamer playing through the Japanese version of the original Prince of Persia in under 10 minutes. Yeah I know, where do they find the time to practice for these kinds of playthroughs? Oh that's right, social retardation and a swelling disgust for real life probably help.

1 comment:

Xenoslayer33 said...

As far as I'm concerned, there will never, EVER, be a good video-game movie. Let me repeat that: I have not seen even a passable movie based on a game. With that said, I am highly skeptical with any future release of anything related to gaming on the big screen. Anything that John Anderson and Uwe Bolle touches just withers up and dies. (On a tangent, I still hate Anderson for what he did to my beloved Alien franchise. What a way to suck out all fear, mystery, and drama with AvP. Anderson, go rot in a shallow grave.)

Still, I can't deny this new Prince's credentials. Sounds like he is quite the man, and he even looks like he could play the part very well. I'm not getting my hopes up, as they are often dashed to pieces, so I'll just simply say, "We'll see".